1.01.2008

Daily Reading 9

"He faced all of the same temptations we do." -Hebrews 4:15

"The Spirit led Jesus into the desert where the devil tempted Jesus for forty days." -Luke 4:1-2

"Well done, good and faithful servant." -Matthew 25:23

Today's entry deals with the concept of Jesus being tempted with all of the same temptations by which we are tempted. I am often tempted to be self-righteous, self gratifying, and glutinous. I can see how these temptations are similar to those that Jesus faced. AND I cannot imagine how tortuous it would have been to go through 40 entire days of any and all temptations that can be thrown at a person. He was starving and was tempted with the suggestion of food. Instead of taking the bait, he answered with what he knew to be true - that he cannot live on bread alone, but needed the word of God to sustain him. He was tempted with power and resisted.
You know what? The difficulty is that when I am faced with temptation, I sometimes give in.

As I read some more of the fourth chapter in Hebrews, I noticed that there were several mentions of the word rest. From these words, I can see that I can look beyond the moment of temptation to a time when I will no longer be stressed or worried over it. The 16th verse of Hebrews Chapter 4 says, "So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it." This is the place of hope. I have strength knowing that I can overcome those moments with God's mercy and grace. It is there because I need it.

I'm glad that I read those words today. Now if I can just remember them when I am tempted!

No comments: