1.12.2008

Daily Reading 14

"Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is- his good, pleasing and perfect will." -Romans 12:2

"They were astonished at his teaching." -Luke 4:32

Jesus had been through all of those days of temptation in the wilderness, went home only to be rejected, and then showed up in a town that completely swelled with excitement over his presence. He was in Capernaum. While there, all kinds of people came to him with requests, advice, and their own agendas. Jesus healed some of them, who had needs. But others, who wanted to tell Jesus what to do and how to do it were told what was up! "I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, because for this purpose I have been sent." Luke 42-43

After 40 days of temptation, it would be hard to resist having a huge mass of people who were amazed by his teaching, wanting him to stay around and tell them more. But Jesus knew his purpose well. He could see the bigger picture. People in other places needed to hear his message, too. Even though there were a ton of people in this place who wanted him to stay, he knew his mission was to let EVERYONE know. He probably had to leave some people who still wanted to know more, or who needed to be healed. I wonder if they ever figured out that they could hear Jesus through others who had listened to him?

I can get caught up in what I think needs to be done, just like the people of Capernaum. Sometimes I wonder why God is not moving or acting like I think he should. Maybe I'm missing the bigger picture. Maybe there is something that is going to happen that shows that God really is a big deal in a way that I am not expecting. I do know that I can participate in His work. I am not going to just sit idly and wait for things to be done by Him. I am one of His followers and I want to help to let others know about His message of hope.

No comments: