1.29.2008

Daily Reading 25

"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven." -Matthew 10:32

"If I don't wash your feet, you are not one of my people." - John 13:8

The story of Jesus washing the feet of his followers is in a few of the books of the bible. When I hear this story, the first thing that I think is, Why is he washing their feet? Shouldn't they be washing his? But nope. He takes the servant's robe off of the hook and grabs the water basin and towel.
The next thing that I think about is the nasty, smelliness of feet. Today especially, I know that I would not want Jesus any where near my feet. (I wore socks without shoes, and they are shoes that have been worn LOTS of times without socks. They are out there smelly!) I can totally see why Peter didn't want Jesus to be scrubbing those dirt covered, smelly things!
Some of the other guys were too busy fighting over who was best to even think about what Jesus was doing. Now how dumb is that? Doesn't it seem crazy to you that Jesus wanted to wash all of their feet? None of them would on trial, whipped by Roman guards, carrying their own heavy cross or be killed without reason. None of them.
BUT, this foot washing points out something about each of them and each of us. Some washing needs to be done. We need to confess that there have been times that we have hurt ourselves, others, and God.
Like Jesus said, "If I don't wash your feet, you are not one of my people." - John 13:8

No comments: