2.18.2008

Daily Reading 28

"The soldiers and the governor took Jesus into the Praetorium. . . And they stripped Him and put a scarlet robe on Him. When they had twisted a crown or thorns, they put it on His head." -Matthew 27: 27-29

The thorns that were put on Jesus's head were a symbol of the effects of sin. They weren't identifying Jesus as a sinner, they were actually pointing to the fact that our sins are piercing Jesus. When a sin grows, it is sharp, pointy, and hurtful. What are some of the sins that were laid on Jesus with that crown? Shame. Disgrace. Discouragement. Anxiety. Worry. Guilt.
Before the thorns were laid on him, Jesus had never felt any of these emotions. He was without sin. When al of humanity's sin was laid on him, he felt them all. That is why he cried out to God for help, "My God, my God, why have you rejected me?" - Matthew 27:46 He actually felt and experienced all of those hurts, the agony, the pain. I think it is pretty amazing that he took all of that on himself.
You need to know that he did that FOR YOU. For each of us, but definitely FOR YOU.

1 comment:

Emily said...

FOR YOU too! It is an amazing thing, isn't it?!?!? It doesn't matter how many times I read this, or hear it...each time it amazes me. That He loves me THAT much!