2.10.2008

Lent - Leaving Something Behind and Taking Something On

This morning at church, the message was about leaving behind selfishness and taking on living like Jesus. Lately I have been doing a bit too much talking about my frustrations with someone to people that really don't need to know about it. I have rationalized to myself that I am just venting, that this person is disrespectful and needs to change. I can't get over the way that this person drives me crazy! And I am near this person almost EVERY day.
Still, as I was thinking about what to let go of for lent (yes I realize that I am a bit late) this attitude of mine towards this person kept surfacing. Donnie referred to it as gossip. I guess on some levels that is exactly what it is. It totally pollutes me and keeps me from noticing anything positive in this relationship. I am going to try every morning to let this attitude go.
What I am planning to take on is meditation on scripture. Our church is doing this thing called "SOAP". Each day there is a reading from the bible to read. Reading the same thing as others is nice because you have a shared text to discuss. The other thing that I plan to do is to meditate on it, or spend time thinking about what it is saying. To let God talk to me through those words.

What are you letting go and taking on?

No comments: