2.10.2008

Daily Reading 27

"You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me." -John 16:32

"With Judas were many people carrying swords and clubs who had ben sent from the leading priests. . . Then the people came and grabbed Jesus and arrested him." -Matthew 26:47, 50

Mr. Lucado points out that this same story is told in another book of the bible, John. In John there is a specuific name for the group of people in the original language which means a group of 200 soldiers. Wow! 200 soldiers were sent by the religious leaders to find Jesus and arrest him! 200!
In that group, there was not one who stood up for Jesus. I wonder if any of them had heard him speak in church? Had a family member healed by him? Not a single one stood up for him that night. Even though he came to save them, they turned against him.
Those 200probably didn't know any better. But, what about his followers, the disciples? I can't believe what cowards they all were. "All of Jesus' followers left him and ran away." -Matthew 26:56 They ran away???
Jesus, unlike all of us, was not limited to the circumstances in front of him. He could see the big picture. His view was totally different. He was able to see purpose in this betrayal and pain. God was with him and he knew it.
In the middle of pain I am usually really mad or depressed. A lot of thse feelings are directed at God. I need to be continually reminded that even though crappy things happen, I am not alone.

No comments: