7.14.2008

Flower Food


On Sunday at church, Phillip brought a whole bunch of white roses to church out of the kindness of his heart. He said that his dad works at a place where damaged goods are brought in and sold at reduced prices and this week, a flower truck was overturned. So he bought a whole bunch of different flowers. How nice for all of us! I ended up bringing home about a dozen white roses. The poor little things were in my car for a couple of hours in the scorching heat and looked pretty limp when I got home. So, I thought I would try to revive them before giving up and tossing them out. Last Spring, a florist from Hy-Vee came to my classroom to teach the kids how to arrange and care for cut flowers.

The first thing you always want to do is to put the flowers in water when you cut them again before putting them into a vase. You need to cut the stem at a diagonal under water. This allows the water to be better absorbed. Then put water in a vase and add a sweet and sour to it. For instance, I added a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of vinegar for a quart of water. Be sure to change the food and water every few days and your flowers will stay beautiful much longer!
Do you have any handy tips today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is what my rose looks like also - it is BEAUTIFUL! I do the diagonal snip - and put sugar in the water...........will try to add sour next time as well.