12.30.2007

Max Lucado Daily Reading 7

"Jesus went into Galilee proclaiming the good news of God." -Mark 1:14

"God chose him for this purpose long before the world began." -1 Peter 1:20

If you haven't tried it yet, find a bible and read some of the rest of the context surrounding the verse that starts each day. It totally helps to understand what is going on. Too often, we read quotes or bible verses in isolation. As I read the beginning of this first chapter of mark, I saw that it introduced Jesus a bit differently than Luke. It talked about John the baptist and how he proclaimed that the Messiah was soon coming. He was announcing Jesus' entrance into a life of public scrutiny. Max points out that Jesus had to first say goodbye to private life at home with his family in the little town of Nazareth before he went out. The crazy thing about it all is that Jesus didn't have to do any of it. He could have kept quiet and led a normal life. But he allowed God's plan to unfold anyway. Not just to be killed, but to willingly carry his own tool of death- a cross, to have it done.
My favorite question so far in these daily readings posed by our author came today: "I wonder what kind of love is this? When you come up with a word for such love, give it to Christ." I have a new friend that is a fabulous writer. I think someday, she will express this sentiment in a way that I cannot. I have been talking about God with her for only a short time, and she is continually blowing me away with her insight about this lifelong spiritual journey. I am thankful for her and I am thankful for what God has done. "immense in mercy and with an incredible love. . . embraced us." - Ephesians 2:4

2 comments:

Liz said...

"He had to enter into every detail of human life", Lucado writes, "to experience it all for himself all the pain". Why would Jesus want to experience all the pain? I agree with you Erin. The great question in this section is "what kind of love is this"?

If God was willing to enter into our detailed human lives before does this mean that He still does the same today? I think so and what kind of love is this. He was willing to come and experience all the pain himself and I believe that today He is now with us in the middle of all of our pain, confusion and has a way out of it! Would you agree?

Erin said...

I definitely have hope that there is a way out from pain and hurt. Sometimes it is hard to imagine that God can handle all of that hurt. I have a hard time handling the hurt of my own circumstances at times. I do know that in my experience, I have been able to stand up under the pain with God's help. There are other people around us that comfort and listen, too.