12.20.2007

Max Lucado Daily Reading 3

"When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him, and took Mary home to be his wife. But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus." - Matthew 1:24-25

The big question asked by Max today is , "Why Joseph?" He questions the choice of this man as opposed to some lofty priest or scholar. What intrigued me is that the reason for God's choice of this man was probably because of the way he sacrificed his own reputation in order to be Mary's husband and the dad to Jesus.
Here on earth, we always seem to want the approval of others. Joseph knew that according to others, he should shun her publicly and then get out of the situation entirely.
It amazes me how similar this is to the story of Jesus talking with the woman caught in adultery. Men led her out to be stoned, telling Jesus of her sin and what should b e done. Instead of shunning her publicly like the other men did, he turned the situation around on them - "The one without sin should cast the first stone." Obviously the stones dropped and everyone went away. I wonder if when this happened later in his life, Jesus had any idea that his earthly father, Joseph had made a similar decision. His dad made a decision to let go his "unblemished reputation" because he believed. He put God's plan ahead of his own.
Today, I am praying that God will help me to put his plan ahead of my own and that you can do the same.

2 comments:

Liz said...

In reading day 3's devotional about Joseph I realized that God continues His theme of choosing ordinary people for extaordinary things.
Why Joseph? He was not an eloquent teacher or writer or chief leader. What could he possibly have to offer in helping to nuture and raise the KING of KINGS? I realized through this passage a component to God's character we easily overlook...
God is wrapped up not in perfection, He didn't meet the people who thought they knew it all or had it all together. He met those who were humble.

I think so many times I try and become this perfect person by doing all the "right" things for God. And somehow this is to deepen my walk with God or bless me. When in all reality God saw me as messed up before and still chose me. Knowing this helps me to move being all about duty to have a relationship.

My view is so tainted by the world around me to pay attention only to those we consider great. I miss the pure simplicity and humilty of God's character.
Oh how I wonder what God is doing around me all the time and yet I fail to see it because it is too ordinary for God?

Erin said...

Liz - your last question really made me wonder what I am missing that God is doing, too. I think I needed that same reminder, to look for God in the ordinary things of life. Just yesterday, I saw up close a tree piled with snow, and it was still standing. That seems fairly ordinary, but God created that tree and its beauty. Luckily, we were actually taking pictures and I will have a reminder of that beauty.