12.18.2007

Max Lucado Daily Reading 1

On Monday, a friend loaned me a book to read called 3:16 by Max Lucado. The amazing thing is that she read the ENTIRE thing over the course of Saturday morning. It was actually given to her the night before by another friend, who thought she would really like it. Well, she did. It answered a lot of questions that she was having. And so, on Sunday when I talked to her, we decided to use the 40-day devotional section at the back for discussion.
I think it would be a great way for discussion out there in the blogging world as well, so I am going to post here the scripture for the day and give a bit of summary as well as reflection about max's thoughts. I hope you'll consider reading the scriptures and commenting and questioning along with us!

"Suddenly a great company of heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.'" -Luke 2:13-14

I love this part of Luke's story when the angels announce the arrival of Jesus to the shepards. One of my favorite Christmas movie moments is when Linus tells Charlie Brown what Christmas is all about. He recites this passage in Luke under the stage lights to a bunch of ordinary animated characters like Lucy, Pigpen, and old Charlie Brown. I think it is amazing how God announced the most important earthly arrival to normal, everyday beings. Even stinky, smelly shepards. They carried everything that they owned with them. He knew that they would be able to believe without needing to consult books or needing to clean themselves up first. They went straightaway to meet their Savior. What faith!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that you used the reference of Charlie Brown. I love the peanuts gang and had thought of the same scene as I was reading. It is amazing to think that a bunch of nobodies were the first to hear about Christ's birth but I have noticed is that God was so happy about the birth of His Son that He sent a host of angels to announce it. It is sort of how we announce things we are really happy about. To me I see God in our every day, ordinary actions and it makes me feel special to share the same trait that God has. I feel more like I am apart of my Father then to any father I have ever had here on earth. That is what I take from this passage and I will always hold that close to my heart because He is my Father. The one I have only ever been able to trust in my whole life. He will never let me down.