7.01.2009

9 Years Ago Today

9 years ago today I got up early and went to get my hair styled with my friend, Kreisa. It was an updo, the kind with pinned curls and I had a white sequined tiara. Then Donnie's cousin, Brenda did my make-up at the church as all of the other girls were arriving.
At the same time, my fiance was in a hotel room with a bunch of guys after a long night of little sleep. He just couldn't sleep... only about 45 minutes the whole night. I never knew that until later... I couldn't tell that day.
I remember funny little moments like my aunts checking my blood sugar while I was in my pretty, white dress... my sisters helping to hold my dress up while I went to the bathroom... scuffing our shoes out on the pavement in the 100+ degree heat... the ring bearer not wanting to be in pictures because he was shy and when our coordinator asked him to give me a kiss which warmed him up to being in some shots.
The moments that I will never forget start when Donnie and I had a few minutes alone before pictures. It was just the two of us. When I saw him, I know I had the biggest smile on my face and that smile wasn't hard to keep on all day long. I didn't even have sore smile muscles after all of the pictures. When I walked down the aisle with my dad, I had a feeling I haven't had since. It was a little sadness mingled with anticipation and wonder. Looking out at ALL of the faces as we stood together on the platform is a snapshot that both of us keep in our memories. People we loved being there was the most important part of our wedding plan. We knew our marriage was would be impacted by people, not flowers, food, or decorations.
The wedding day was splendid and full of memories, but our marriage was the significant thing that started that day. Today I want to say thank you to Donnie. The man in my life that is strong, dedicated to God, his family and people. I appreciate the thoughful gestures and consistency in my life. I love you!

3 comments:

Donnie Miller said...

And I love you!

christina joy said...

Congratulations to both of you! I remember that day so vividly. I was a bawling, sobbing mess that day because I had just lost my mom.

I love to read every once in a while and find out how you're doing. For what little it's worth, I know your mom would be so proud. How could she not be?

Much love.

Kami said...

I too, remember that day as being a wonderful day! It was the beginning of something amazing! May you have many more years together! I love you and have been amazed to see all that God has done with the two of you!